How to Make a Magic Slider


In classes this month I featured this Magic Slider card.  Here the black and white tree image 'magically' becomes coloured as you slide up the tag.


I first saw the concept on Amy Wanford's blog.  She provides a detailed tutorial here: http://craftingconfessions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/colour-my-worldill-show-you-how.html
As I didn't have any of the dies Amy used I created my own die-free version of the magic slider pocket and wanted to share it with you here.

Step One - Create a pocket


I cut a rectangle of Basic Black Card Stock to 10 x 13cm.  I then scored lines 3.5cm in from both ends of the long side with another score line running along the bottom of the 1cm from the short edge.  See image below.


Use a pen knife to cut a 4.2 x 5.5cm rectangle in the middle panel for the window.  I placed mine 1cm from the top about 1cm from each score line as pictured below.


Create angled flaps by cutting the edges of the rectangle as per the below diagram to create a envelope like effect.


Cut one 5.5 x 9.5cm rectangle of Very Vanilla or Whisper White card stock. Create a 1cm fold at the bottom of the short edge.  Apply double sided tape to the outer edge of the fold and stick this piece into the inside of the envelope so that it lines up with the inside edge of the bottom score line as per image below


Fold the small bottom black panel up over the Vanilla/White insert you just secured inside.  Put some double sided tape on the back of this small strip and fold in one of the side panels.  Place a strip of double sided tape on the back of the side panel you just stuck down and fold the remaining side panel in.  This ensures that no adhesive ends up on the Vanilla/White insert - VERY IMPORTANT.


Step Two - Create your tag
Stamp an image suitable for colouring on a 5.5 x 9.5cm rectangle of Window Sheet using StazOn Black Ink.  Stamp the same image in light ink (like Sahara Sand or Crumb Cake) onto a thin paper.  You can use plain paper and colour it in or stamp directly onto patterned paper as I have here.

Cut out your coloured image and stick it onto a piece of the Whisper White or Very Vanilla card stock also measuring 5.5 x 9.5cm. I put my Stamped Window sheet face down on the table and lined up the cut out coloured image face down onto this lining it up exactly.  I then applied a little glue and carefully placed the Vanilla rectangle over the top - lining up the edges with the Window Sheet tag. This should help the two pieces of the tag line up perfectly.  Secure these together with some ribbon.

Step Three - Putting it all together
Carefully slide the tag into the pocket so that the divider goes up the middle of your tag between the Window Sheet and the coloured backing.

Use some Stampin' Up! Sticky Strip to adhere the pocket to the front of your card design.

So there you have it!

If you happen to give this a try I'd love to see what you come up with! Share a link to your project in the comments below or email me a picture of your creation at j-frost@live.com.au

If you have any questions or queries about this process or anything Stampin' Up! related please don't hesitate to contact me.











No comments