If you've been following along with my previous scrap projects, you'll know I love taking one basic idea and exploring different ways to use it. In my earlier layered scrap feature cards two ways project, I created a torn version and a cleaner banner-style version.
This time, I wanted to keep the basic idea the same — layered strips of patterned paper — but explore how colour choices, cardstock, layout, and embellishments can completely change the feel of the finished card.
The same scraps, two different styles
I started by gathering together a mixture of subtle patterned paper scraps in soft blues, gentle browns and neutral patterns. To create two different looks, I separated them into two colour directions.
For my clean and crisp version, I chose softer blue patterns with more white running through the designs. Paired with a Basic White background, these papers created a lighter, fresher feel.
For my soft vintage version, I chose blue patterns with warmer vanilla tones. These worked beautifully with Very Vanilla cardstock and created a softer, more layered appearance.
It was interesting to see how changing just the background colour altered the overall mood of the papers.
Creating the layered scrap panels
For the vintage-inspired card, I took a more relaxed approach with my strips.
I layered the pieces down the centre of the card without worrying about everything being perfectly aligned. Some strips were longer, some shorter, and some overlapped slightly to create a more organic, patchwork feel.
For the clean and crisp version, I wanted a more structured look. I cut my strips to the same width and created a simple rectangle down the centre of the card. The varied heights still added interest, but the consistent width gave the panel a much more ordered appearance.
It’s amazing how the same basic idea can feel completely different just by changing the arrangement and a few design choices.
A little crafting problem solving
As always happens in handmade projects, not everything went perfectly!
The textured ribbon I chose for the clean version created a little more bulk than I wanted underneath the flower. I also found myself juggling all those tiny die-cut pieces while trying to keep the blue flower together.
In the video, I share the little adjustments I made along the way, including a ribbon trick that helped the flower sit flatter, and two different methods for creating the floral die cut.
Which style would you choose?
I love how these cards started with the same idea and the same types of supplies, but ended up with completely different personalities.
One feels fresh, clean, and structured. The other feels soft, layered, and vintage.
I'd love to know — which style speaks to you more?
Are you drawn towards clean and crisp card designs, or do you prefer softer layers and warmer tones?
Cardmaking with Scraps
If you enjoy this kind of scrap-based cardmaking, I’ve also put together a Cardmaking with Scraps printable guide.
It includes 8 scrap-friendly card projects with measurements, photos and step-by-step “recipes” you can keep beside your desk for inspiration when you’re working through your stash.
👉 Learn more HERE
Happy crafting,
Jenn







Post a Comment